PLAY - It's Not Just For Kids Anymore

 



Though my friend is a Medium from Minneapolis, USA, and I am a writer from Ontario, Canada, we managed to make a connection through an online writer’s group and became fast friends through regular ZOOM chats. 

One day my friend shared a story about a lovely afternoon she spent playing with her niece, Reese. From this experience, my friend was inspired to write about what it means to be fully present for another person, while I was drawn to the aspect of play and how it impacts on adults.

*****

My thoughts slipped back in time to when my kids were little. It was summer time, and like most afternoons in the summer, I had filled the wading pool with water so the kids could play while I sat under the maple tree to read and keep an eye on them.

Then for reasons I can’t even explain, one day, I decided to climb in that little wading pool and join them in their play. I picked up one of the Little Mermaid dolls and started singing one of the Little Mermaid songs, Part of Your World while my doll, Ariel did somersaults through the water. Not being the best singer in the world, I was worried what the neighbors would think if they heard me. Then I quickly decided, “So what?” This is fun.

I don’t know why that was a singular incident in my life. It’s rare for me to let down my hair in this way. Why wasn’t I running through puddles with abandon? Why did I worry about getting my hair wet when I went to the beach? Why do so many of us fear feeling free to be silly and allow ourselves the freedom to play?

So, here we are years later, and this memory comes up in my life once again. Only this time, I’m more curious about play and decided to do a little online research to see what I could find out about it, particularly where it relates to adults. I will highlight the things that speak to the writer in me.

Play allows our creative juices to flow to the surface. During periods of play, we tend to let our hair down and go back into “child mode”. I think it’s because we remember the sheer joy of playing as a child without any end result, only pleasure. We tend not to put any demands of the act of play, and we don’t worry about what others will think because play is about having fun. Play creates an endorphin rush that can dispel feelings of sadness and feelings of sluggishness. So instead of grabbing a cup of caffeine mid-afternoon, take a play break and see what happens.

As a writer, it is necessary to suspend all logical thought when I first start generating ideas for a new novel. I have learned to go where the story wants to take me. Much like play, I experiment with different ideas, and concepts, even when they feel far-fetched, just to see where they will lead me. Invariably, they lead me exactly where I need to be.

Confidence is built by doing the same thing over and over again until finally you succeed. Play can help you to create a safe environment for experimentation without risk of judgement until you achieve your desired goal. This confidence easily spills over into our everyday lives. Whether it’s to paint the back fence or create a workshop, because of a positive experience with play, you are more willing to take a leap of faith with a new idea because you know that eventually you will achieve your desired goal. Further, you will take these successes to the next level and begin to set more ambitious goals.

By now, most of you have probably heard that playing games improves brain function. Word games, for example, improves your ability to express yourself more clearly. And it establishes new neural connections in the brain and enables more flexible thinking. A handy tool when you’re a writer.

These are just a few benefits of play. There are more. But I think this is enough to get you thinking in a new way about play. So the next time you’re wondering whether to splash in that rain puddle, mess around with play-dough, or build a model car, remember, play isn’t just for kids any more. Go for it.

Comments

Popular Posts