LIFE IS LIKE A CANOE

 


I had a dream the other night that I was painting a canoe. Not doing a painting of a canoe, but painting an actual canoe. For some reason, I was painting it silver. How strange, I thought. What could it mean?

I did a quick Google search and found out that dreams about canoes are about wanting to get our lives in order. I seem to recall that artist, Tom Thomson painted his canoe silver. Being an ardent fan, who has read much about the man’s life, not only for my own personal interest, but also as research for my book, Gift of the Loon, I took the symbolism to relate to the kind of man Thomson was. He lived life on his own terms, wasn’t afraid to try new things in his work, and he loved the outdoors. Of all of these things, living life on his own terms is what speaks to me most. I want to live my writing life in the way that best suits me, without apology, without regret. Perhaps my dream was trying to tell me this.

I then began to see that I could easily use the canoe imagary as a metaphor for how we navigate life.

THE PADDLE

While on a canoe trip to Ragged Falls on Oxtongue Lake, I found my paddle particularly heavy. It made it difficult to paddle for any length of time without having to switch sides. When we carry a heavy burden, life can be difficult too unless we make sure we have the proper equipment or tools with us to make the going easier. It could be a person, a proper technique, or simply strengthening ourselves for the journey.

CHANGING DIRECTIONS

One thing that you might face while you’re out in a canoe is high winds that make the water choppy and difficult to maneuver. During these times, I have learned that you have to be willing to change how you paddle. It no longer works when the two of you paddle on opposites sides of the canoe. You have to be willing to do whatever it takes to continue to move forward toward your goal. In this case, safety. In order to propel yourself forward, you both have to paddle on the same side of the canoe when the wind is shoving you sideways. This is a powerful lesson.  Don’t be afraid to change how you do things when life isn’t going the way you planned. Be innovative. Be open. Be flexible. In the end there is no right or wrong way of doing things in life. There is just whatever works for you.

HAVING THE RIGHT PARTNER

As in life, when canoeing, it makes a huge difference when you’re travelling with the right partner. You have to be able to trust each other. It is hoped that at least one of you knows how to steer, and one of you knows how to dig deep with that paddle when the water gets rough.  Each person in the partnership should bring gifts that complement each other. Travelling on the river is quite different than travelling on land. The sign posts are not the same. You have to be observant, and confident about where you are going, so that together you will achieve your intended destination.

A STURDY CANOE

It’s always important to maintain the vehicle you will be travelling in. Whether it’s a Kevlar canoe, or the body within which you travel this life. You want it to be in tip-top shape so that it can handle anything that comes your way.

SUPPLIES

When you set out on your canoe trip, it’s important to have the right supplies for the journey ahead. A whistle in case you get lost. A rope to pull you ashore if you need it. Drinking water to keep you hydrated. And food to give you energy for that long paddle. What are you bringing with you on this journey called life? Will it serve you well, or will it hold you back? Learn to dump what you don’t need over the side like I did in order to live the kind of writing life I wanted. Hold on to what you know will get the job done. Some things will work well, others will need to be refined, while yet others won’t work for you at all. Let them go.

LIFE JACKET

Smart people don’t go out in a canoe without their life jacket. It could save your life. The same thing applies in life. You don’t set out into the world without some kind of back-up. A good job. An education. Life experience. Friends. And for many, a spiritual or religious belief that will see you through life’s unexpected detours.

And there you have it. From a dream about painting a canoe that solidified for me that I’m heading in the right direction, to examples of the many ways to look at life using the canoe as a metaphor.

 

 

 

Comments

Popular Posts