CREATING CHARACTERS FOR YOUR NOVEL FROM YOUR OWN BACK YARD

 



Are you searching for an interesting character for your next novel and don’t know where to start? Why not look in your own back yard?

When I began writing, The Healing Stones, my current work in progress, I was looking for a quirky main character, someone a bit off the wall, doesn’t quite fit into the mainstream. But I had no template from which to work. How was a supposed to know where to start writing such a character? Was I doomed before I even started? I began to think back on my life, and all the people I’d met or were acquainted with. And then it came to me. I did know such a character from a few years back. I had even thought at the time that she’d be a fascinating person to write a story about based on what I had learned about her past. I had a starting point. That’s all I needed. As I began writing, my character began to take on a life of her own. That’s always fun. Her name is Rachel Byrne.

WHO DO YOU KNOW?

This isn’t the first time I’ve taken a person from my life and created a character. Margaret Harrison, in my book Gift of the Loon, was inspired by actress, Kathryn Hepburn. Granted, I don’t know her personally, but she has come across my radar many times through her movies and books I’ve read bout her life. You see, I needed someone who was outspoken, a woman ahead of her time in the way she lived. Ms. Hepburn fit the bill as the perfect template for the character of Margaret Harrison. She was such fun to write because she is the direct opposite to me.  Her character gave me a lot of freedom to speak her/my mind, especially when she had to go up against Canadian artist Tom Thomson, who is also a character in this novel.

BITS AND PIECES

Another way you could incorporate people you know into your fiction, is to take some characteristic from one person, and a different characteristic from another – and even a third or fourth if you have a mind to – to create a brand-new character.

At this point, I’d like to mention that as a writer, it is beneficial to read biographies as they will give you lots of ideas to spark your creative juices when creating your characters.

WHAT DO YOU KNOW?

Another great way to build a character is based on what they do for a living. Perhaps you know someone who has an interesting hobby or occupation that could be incorporated into your story. This is a wonderful opportunity to interview them. People love being interviewed. I did this when I was looking to write about a vicar’s wife for my current work in progress, The Healing Stones. I wanted to know what the expectations of a vicar’s wife circa 1950s. It took some doing, but I was able to connect with someone through a friend of a friend, who was happy to help give me the inside scoop. It was tremendously helpful in creating Cynthia Logan, vicar’s wife. Even the name Cynthia conjures images of what my character is like. Yet, another consideration when creating characters.

So, there you have it, a few things to consider when creating characters for your next novel. It’s important to note here, that your intention is not to reproduce that character on the page -- but to take the essence of that person to create a new one.  Is there anyone like that in your life? I bet there is.

 

Comments

Popular Posts