WHY I WRITE - Based on a quote by George Orwell

Writing a book is a horrible struggle like a long bout of some painful illness. One would never undertake such a thing if one were not driven by some demon whom one can neither resist nor understand.” – George Orwell   Why I Write 


This is a powerful but true statement made by writer George Orwell, author of Animal Farm. It got me thinking about the reason I write. Indeed, why does any writer write when it is, at times, a  “horrible struggle”?

To respond to this question, I have listed the four main reasons Orwell writes, and will respond to them from my own experience as a writer. Perhaps they will ring true for you too.

EGOISM – The desire to feel clever, or to be remembered after death.

I cannot lie. I do like the idea of being remembered for my writing after I die. In fact, when I was in high school, I dreamed of being a writer as a way to gain immortality. As to the desire of feeling clever, the thought never occurred to me. 

AESTHETIC ENTHUSIASM – Desire to share an experience which one feels is valuable.

Whenever I’m working on a novel, the premise is usually about something I’m trying to work through myself. Whether it’s wondering how I would manage if I somehow found myself alone, questioning what success means to me, or recognizing that I am good enough just as I am, the premise is always relatable to the reader. Something universal that I want to share with others as a reminder that they are not alone, and perhaps even to help them see a new perspective based on my protagonist’s journey.

HISTORICAL IMPULSE – Desire to see things as they are; to find out true facts and store them up for posterity.

As an historical fiction writer, it is necessary for me to find out the truth about the historical background I am writing about to give my story verisimilitude. Although it must be said that history is only as true as everyone’s perception of that truth at the time it happened. However, I do enjoy gathering historical information for my novels because I love history.  It’s an avenue for my educational growth, and I believe makes me an interesting person. So perhaps there’s a little EGOISM in there after all. That desire to feel clever.

POLITICAL PURPOSE – used in the widest possible sense. Desire to alter people’s idea of the kind of society to strive for.

This is a tough one. I never really considered that my novels had a political purpose. But if the idea of a political purpose is being “used in the widest possible sense” then I believe writing about women who are striving to overcome societal norms - that of a woman’s place being in the home - then I would say that politics have indeed played a part in my novels. Think gender inequality, a woman’s right to vote, pay equity, and reproductive rights. A number of these issues turn up in my books.

SERVING MY PURPOSE

It surprises me to say that I agree with everything that Orwell has said about why people write. Particularly about writing for a political purpose. For me, women’s issues are important, and I do want to send a message to other women that reminds them that things can be different if they’re willing to trust their own instincts, abilities, and dreams. This is something I do, not only in my writing, but by running women’s retreats that answers three important questions that can help women discover themselves and their passion so they can step into their future in a new way. Who am I? What do I want? How can I express it in the outer world?

Yes, writing is hard. But I feel compelled to tell stories that not only help me to understand my own woman’s journey, but also to aid other women on their path. If I can make a difference to another woman through my stories, and through my retreats, then I have served my purpose here on Earth. And isn’t that what we all long for?

 


Comments

Popular Posts